Parish Records Norway — Page 3 — Parish Records Norway — Page 3 — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Parish Records Norway

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Linda- I love this idea. 

Quote from Linda Balderson on March 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

Since I also have many, many Norwegian ancestors, this workflow allows me to get them all in quickly, and I can easily revise the ones I need when and if I need to publish something requiring an EE style citation.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for that example. After spending about a week learning Zotero basics, I jumped right in using the parish records as a starting point for establishing a work flow. Mine is similar to you yours - snag the record and add tidbits to the citation fields, then using the notes for transcription, abstracts and my analysis in general. I discovered how to print all notes for one subject into one document - so if/when I ever need/want to review everything at a glance I can do so. I've also included a stand-alone note in the subject's file (Hans Thomsen>birth for example) where I begin my narrative - since that always helps me flesh out holes and weak spots. 

Knowing I have snagged what I need for the citation - and that all of the related information is "attached" has been the biggest boon to my efforts. I can focus on the record and what it tells me rather than making sure I don't lose the connection between source/information. 

Nil and negative results get snagged and annotated as well as a nod to ye olde research log.

Can't wait to meet Donna this weekend at the AGS seminar and shake her hand for this!

P.S. Linda - if you are open to me asking you some Norwegian research-related questions off forum, please let me know. I'm on FB https://www.facebook.com/donna.weathers.9  or email djweathers @gmail.com.

Cheers!

Great progress on all fronts! Donna, I'll see you this weekend! And you're welcome!

What is AGS? Do I have to fly to the East coast to get there? 🙂

All the way to Alabama, Ann. The Alabama Genealogical Society Spring Seminar. Judy Russell is speaking, so it will be a great day!

Thanks, Donna. I'll have to wait until you come west. I am getting a "vacation" from caregiving to go to the Southern California Jamboree at the end of May. I can't wait.

Back to the Norwegian Digital Archives: Ann, I am using a similar workflow for all of my Norwegian records. For example, here is what Zotero brings in for a census record for the head of a family:

001 Anders Johannesen - 0009 Kulild Kuvigen - 001 3die - Census districts summary - 1865 census for Fusa - The Digital Archive

I move the year to the date field and restructure the webpage title as follows:

Census for Fusa - The Digital Archive, #0009 Kulild Kuvigen, Anders Johannesen household

The resulting CMOS note: 

“Census for Fusa - The Digital Archive, #0009 Kulild Kuvigen, Anders Johannesen Household,” 1865, https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038237000067.

Add transcription in a note; same workflow for Emigration, etc. Copy to FTM and save to all family members. Quick and done.

When I start writing up a piece of research I am finding myself rewriting most of my citations. Linda, your quick and done method seems like it will fit in nicely. I will have everything I need to do an EE citation but I don't have to spend a lot of time figuring it out during the researching part.

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top