Easy way to share citation entry formats — Page 2 — Easy way to share citation entry formats — Page 2 — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Easy way to share citation entry formats

PreviousPage 2 of 2

No, with Zotero using the CMOS full note, the citation came out like this:

[1]“Pott’s Laundry Nearly Ruined by Fierce Fire,” The Petoskey (Michigan) Evening News, March 8, 1932, p. 1, col. 6; digital images, Greenwood Cemetery, http://gwood.us.

I'm confused and need help.  My citation example does not yield the URL in the citation, but yours does.  Both have URL information there, both are using the CMOS Full.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what may be different.  Yes, mine does not presently have the location in the archive field filled in, but even when I insert dummy text there, it doesn't affect the URL which does not show.  What am I missing?  BTW, the citation in your first example is different than the one you put in your most recent post.  Please tell me what I'm missing.  Thanks.

Figured part of it out. 

1. Zotero Preferences > Cite > Styles Section.  There's a Citation Options check box at the bottom that says "Include URLs of paper articles in references.  When this option is disabled, Zotero includes URLs when citing journal, magazine, and newspaper articles only if the article does not have a page range selected."  In my case, it was de-selected.  I re-selected it, and all of a sudden the URL appeared.  Like magic.  Yay.  Thanks for this discussion.  I learned something.
  2. URL in citation.  Recommendations I've seen are to use the main URL but not the detailed one, because it would likely change when someone wants to find it.  Yet, we want to find it in the course of our research, so therefore want to record it for our use.  Zotero presents 3 possible locations to do this.  First, listing the URL as the basic one puts it in the citation just fine.  The archive (I think) needs to be the name of the archive used - like newspapers.com.  Or not?  Then the library catalog field is another possible location.  If (for convenience) we want to double-click on the actual item entry in Zotero, that means using the entire URL in the URL field - I think.  What is a best practice here?
  3. Accessed date.  From everything I've read, Zotero won't put the Accessed date into a Newspaper Article Item Type citation.  Yet it is required in EE.  Perhaps there is a way to deal with this too?  Or just remember it when actually trying to publish a paper?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Very helpful discussion! Linda, you might find it easier to add a note to the citation and paste and reformat the citation for EE there, rather than have to write out the instructions for how to change it. If you want the citation to remind you to get the revised note, you could insert [get EE format] in one of the fields that is included in the citation. 

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top