Birth Certificate (or death or marriage) — Page 4 — Birth Certificate (or death or marriage) — Page 4 — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Birth Certificate (or death or marriage)

PreviousPage 4 of 4

Megan, Those are great questions. I would be asking the GRO. All the ones I have I obtained in person from the local office. At that time they were 10 pounds a pop and the conversion to US dollars was 20 dollars a pop. I got a total of 30 certificates and blew my budget right out the window! I was eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for several weeks. 🙂 There were more I wanted but had to limit my self. 🙂

Hahahaha - I was like that when I returned from my UK trip last year.  Still had a load of pound loaded on a card so used that to get GRO certificates.

Got a reply to my question how the records are kept and forwarded to the GRO. The originals are still kept as a permanent record at the local register office and duplicate copies are sent to the GRO.  Both local offices and the GRO can then issue certified copies of the original entry. 

Things to think about. If you order an older record from the GRO there is a higher possibility that the record might contain an error even if the GRO record is a copy of the register as opposed to a transcription. The reason is that the copies the GRO has are one step away from the original entry housed at a local office. 

That's concerning Ann.  Given that they sell them on GRO as being the copy of the original - people trust that they have the original.  I never realised they did not hold the originals - bit deceptive if you ask me.

Megan, Here is a link to the GRO's webpage that explains that they hold a copy of all registers. Keyword being  "copy."  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Ordering service

Welcome to the General Register Office for England and Wales online ordering service

The General Register Office holds a central copy of all registrations for England and Wales. Local Register Offices also hold records of events registered in their area.

For recent events registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months), applications for certificates should be made to the Register Office in the district where the birth, death or marriage took place.

Megan, the more I think about the citation and because the UK has both civil and parish registers I think the citation should include which type of register it is. civil register or parish register.

• Death Certificate of Laura Lillian (Warner) Weaver, Died 13 December 1954

Type Document
    Author North Dakota Certificate of Death
    Date 1954
    Archive 600 East Boulevard Ave Bismarck, North Dakota
    Loc. in Archive Certificate No 4761
    URL https://www.health.nd.gov/vital/certified-copies-death-records
    Accessed 5/9/2006, 7:00:00 PM
    Extra Issued 10 May 2006 --certified copy
    Publisher Department of Health, Bismarck
    Date Added 1/26/2020, 5:59:31 PM
    Modified 1/26/2020, 6:17:08 PM

Notes:

• Born: 6 April 1890 Menahga, Wadena, Minnesota, United Stated

Died: 13 Dec 1954 Deaconess Hospital, Kenmare, Ward, North Dakota, United States

Buried: 17 Dec 1954   Rosehill Cemetery Renville, Co., North Dakota

Cause of Death: Thombo-phlebitis due to hepatitis

Father's Name: Fred Warner

Mother's Name: Lucia Martin

Spouse & Informant: Walt Weaver; Norma, Renville, North Dakota, United States

Funeral Home: m. Ringen & Co Funeral Home, Kenmare, Ward, North Dakota, United States

This is how I filled in everything to get all of the information I needed.

PreviousPage 4 of 4
Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top