Use of Zotero with jpg and tiff images — Use of Zotero with jpg and tiff images — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Use of Zotero with jpg and tiff images

I am new to the use of Zotero and very excited about its use in my genealogical research. I have questions about Zotero's treatment of jpg and tiff images. I have just purchased Donna Cox Baker's Zotero for Genealogy book. I have tried importing into Zotero a tiff or a jpg and I cannot make it work. I have tried to link into Zotero the file location of the jpg or tiff on my computer and it does not allow me to link. While I am just starting to read Zotero for Genealogy, I note that in several places the book references are made to an "image." I define an image as a picture file in a format of tiff, jpg, png, etc. I define a PDF file as a document. Do the references to images in Zotero for Genealogy follow my definition or does the word "image" in the book refer only to PDF's? If Zotero can deal with jpg, tiff, png and other image file formats, please inform me how to do that. In the past, to deal with genealogical images, I have used Tropy, which is also a software product of the same non-profit that produces Zotero. I would like to use just one program, and Zotero seems to be much more flexible having many more templates than does Tropy. If Zotero does not work with image formats, can I somehow link into Zotero work that I have done on images in Tropy.  Thanks very much for your replies. K. Allred

Zotero accepts all the major types of images, so I can't imagine what's preventing it. You can drag them from your PC's file manager into the research item list at Zotero's center--either on top of an existing reference item or as a freestanding file. Or you can choose to create a link out to your file manager. I'd recommend you reinstall Zotero, just in case something didn't quite set up properly. If you still can't get the images to come in, turn on the Debug Output Logging under the Help menu. Attempt to bring in the image again, then report the Debug output to the main Zotero forum at https://forums.zotero.org/. Tell them what's been happening, what your computer hardware and software setup is, and hopefully they'll know what to do next.

Donna, thanks for your very prompt and helpful reply. I have reinstalled Zotero and the problem appears to be corrected.

Donna Cox Baker has reacted to this post.
Donna Cox Baker

I'm so glad it turned out to be something simple. I hope you find Zotero as useful as I have!

Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top