Release of Zotero 7 — Release of Zotero 7 — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Release of Zotero 7

I note that in January the Zotero folks released a beta version 7 which, with tweaks, is apparently what will become the release version of Zotero 7.  I have two questions: (1) given that it it now almost June, with almost 6 months for tweaks, do you have any estimated ETA for the Version 7 release? (2) The beta 7 version has a separate app. If I install the beta version, using the new app, does that create a separate set of files for Zotero for version 7, so that I can go back to version 6 using the version 6 app, or does the beta version 7 app "take charge" of the version 6 app files prohibiting going back to the version 6 files using the version 6 app?  Thanks.

Great questions, astro_ccd. I have no update from Zotero on the official release date for Zotero 7, unfortunately. When I installed the beta last fall, we were told it would be ready before the end of the year, but the release apparently keeps getting bigger. Fortunately, it's a wonderful improvement. And it's been stable since last fall—just a minor glitch here and there that's usually fixed within a day.

Once your data is updated for Release 7's beta, you can't take the converted data backward. But, before you install the beta, you can make a full copy of your existing Zotero folder to keep an intact version of your Release 6 data. If you decide the beta is not working for you, you can reinstall Release 6 and move the old Zotero folder back to C:\Users\[your user name]\Zotero. You will lose any new data you created in Release 7.

If you decide to take a chance on the Release 7 beta, let us know how it goes. I've been receiving the changes gradually for nine months, so I'm not sure how it feels to get the changed software all at once.

Good luck with your decision,

Donna

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I have done as you suggested, preserving the old Zotero 6 file. Do I have to reload a new chrome connector for the beta 7 version, or does the old chrome connector from version 6 work for the beta 7 version?

I think Zotero 7 automatically installs the Chrome connector. It's possible you'll need to activate it within Chrome at chrome://extensions/. If it doesn't seem to be working try that.

Thank you again for your prompt, particularly over a holiday weekend, and helpful reply.

Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top