Chancery Records (VA) — Chancery Records (VA) — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Chancery Records (VA)

I am looking for guidance on how to set up a Chancery case record and in particular, in VA from the Library of Virginia Chancery Index.  The suggested citation format is this:

[Locality Name] (Va.) Chancery Causes, [date range]. [Cite style of suit and chancery index no.]. Local Government Records Collection, [Locality] Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

For example:  Westmoreland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1753-1911. Admr. of William Anderson v. John Anderson, 1842-009. Local Government Records Collection, Westmoreland Court Records. The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

It is possible as more papers are processed for any given locality that index numbers, or even styles of suit, may change.

I started by using a "Case" item but the suggested fields don't seem to align.  Does anyone have an alternate approach?

Thanks!

Hi, LisaB. This isn't perfect, but might help. I tend to favor the Manuscript type for many things and opt for consistency over perfect syntax. Below are the fields and the Notes section shows the footnote output. It puts quotation marks around the title and adds a 'n.d.' to indicate no date has been specified. This method assumes you do a separate item every time you cite this source for a different case. If you're publishing, you could put brackets around the title, then at publication time, search and replace the "[ and ]" with nothing.

• Westmoreland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1753-1911

Item Type Manuscript
      Archive The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia
      Loc. in Archive Admr. of William Anderson v. John Anderson, 1842-009, Local Government Records Collection, Westmoreland Court Records
      Date Added 8/23/2024, 9:30:00 PM
      Modified 8/23/2024, 10:01:04 PM

Notes:

• [1] “Westmoreland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1753-1911” (n.d.), Admr. of William Anderson v. John Anderson, 1842-009, Local Government Records Collection, Westmoreland Court Records, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Or, if you want to create only one item with this major source and change the case-specific detail, you'd need to keep the detail in your notes and paste it in as the suffix when you're using the Zotero add-on in your word processor. It would look something like this:

[1] “Westmoreland County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1753-1911” (n.d.), Local Government Records Collection, Westmoreland Court Records, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia Admr. of William Anderson v. John Anderson, 1842-009.

I hope it helps a bit.

Donna

Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top