1850 and 1860 census — 1850 and 1860 census — Genohistory.com Forum — GENOHISTORY.COM

Scroll down to see the Zotero Forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1850 and 1860 census

Newbie to the use of this system, and have just finished watching the youtube video 'Getting started with the 90-60 Census Workbook'.  In the examples in the video, it started with the 1850 census, but my question would apply to the 1860 census also.  Is the workbook ONLY for the 1850/1860 slave schedule censuses (with only the head of household) and not the regular (with family names) census?  I think the answer is yes, but I want to confirm.

Thanks for this.

Elynn Boss

Hi, Elynn. You can use it for the regular censuses in 1850 and 1860, also, but you have to parse out what the tallies should be manually. If an 1850 household has these people...

Sam Crook, age 25

Amelia Crook, age 60

Robert Hanna, age 23

...you would put them into the categories where they belong, as you see in the screenshot. Then, if you match any of the household inhabitants to entries in the slave schedules, you'll put them into the "Enslaved" section on the same line. If multiple people in the same household own slaves, you would need to do the math to figure out the household subtotal in each category. It does seem counterintuitive that the 1850 and 1860 censuses are the hardest to put into the spreadsheet. Everything earlier is a simple mimicking of what you see in the census. I debated about including the 1850 and 1860 censuses, but I realized that they are ideal for comparison purposes with the earlier censuses.

Hope that helps,

Donna Baker

P.S. Welcome to the 90-60!

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Thank you!

Share...
Shopping Cart

I stand with the innocents of all nations and pray peace to all.

X
Scroll to Top